Risky, but worth it for Mets
The Mets' addition of Richard Hidalgo looks shaky on the surface, but could pay off for New York.
Originally Published: June 17, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
One might reasonably ask this question: "Why would a fourth-place, sub-.500 team trade for an outfielder who's 1) due to make roughly $9.5 million over the next season and a half, and 2) has statistics this season that would, if he weren't making so much money, make him a candidate for a lengthy trip to the Pacific Coast League?" Which is sort of a convoluted way of asking, "What in #$&@ do the Mets want with Richard Hidalgo?"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Houston Astros Heavy Duty Vinyl Car Mats 2-Pack