Garner good fit for veteran Astros
Phil Garner's lunch-pail work ethic should blend well with the veteran-dominated Astros.
The Astros went into the season thinking World Series, but they find themselves in fifth place in the six-team NL Central, 10½ games behind the first-place St. Louis Cardinals. Houston is 4½ back in the NL wild-card race.
New manager Phil Garner might be just what the doctor ordered. His lunch-pail work ethic should blend well with the veteran-dominated Astros. I played against teams that Garner played for (Astros) and managed (Brewers), so I know about his no-nonsense approach and commitment to winning.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Free-agent Sandoval to pick team next week
- Sources: White Sox snag LaRoche for $25M
- Ibanez among 3 finalists for Rays manager
- Obama tees it up with retired Jeter in Vegas
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Houston Astros Cooperstown Fan V-neck Navy/orange Half-sleeve Shirt