Garner good fit for veteran Astros
Phil Garner's lunch-pail work ethic should blend well with the veteran-dominated Astros.
The Astros went into the season thinking World Series, but they find themselves in fifth place in the six-team NL Central, 10½ games behind the first-place St. Louis Cardinals. Houston is 4½ back in the NL wild-card race.
New manager Phil Garner might be just what the doctor ordered. His lunch-pail work ethic should blend well with the veteran-dominated Astros. I played against teams that Garner played for (Astros) and managed (Brewers), so I know about his no-nonsense approach and commitment to winning.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- McCarthy, Headley lift Yanks past Rangers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Men's Houston Astros Turbo Watch