Wells' heart key to his success
David Wells' heart is one factor that makes the Padres' starter effective at age 41.
With Wells, it isn't about stuff anymore. He doesn't have the same stuff he had in the 1980s or early '90s -- for instance, his fastball won't crack 90 mph. But he throws strikes and he knows how to pitch. Those two components will take a pitcher a long way.
That's what has made Greg Maddux so successful over the years. Guys like Maddux and Wells know how to pitch. They know how to move the ball around and change speeds. Wells also still has an effective breaking ball.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- M's GM in defense: 'We've never deviated'
- Maddon: Rays must be ready for Price trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's San Diego Padres Local Navy T-Shirt