Wells' heart key to his success
David Wells' heart is one factor that makes the Padres' starter effective at age 41.
With Wells, it isn't about stuff anymore. He doesn't have the same stuff he had in the 1980s or early '90s -- for instance, his fastball won't crack 90 mph. But he throws strikes and he knows how to pitch. Those two components will take a pitcher a long way.
That's what has made Greg Maddux so successful over the years. Guys like Maddux and Wells know how to pitch. They know how to move the ball around and change speeds. Wells also still has an effective breaking ball.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Schoop's 2-run HR helps O's beat Angels
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Lincecum posts first save as Giants need 14
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's San Diego Padres Cuddyhook Mesh Flex Hat