Mini-Series preview: Mets at Rockies
June, 27, 2013
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Getty Images/USA TODAY SportsJeremy Hefner faces Tyler Chatwood in the makeup of an April postponement.
Thursday: RHP Jeremy Hefner (2-6, 3.89) vs. RHP Tyler Chatwood (4-1, 2.22), 6:10 p.m. ET
Rockies short hops
• Closer Rafael Betancourt (groin) is expected to return from the disabled list on Friday, the day after the Mets make their cameo appearance at Coors Field.
Set-up man Rex Brothers has handled closing duty in the interim. The southpaw has been 3-for-3 in save conversions and has made 31 consecutive scoreless appearances -- the second-longest streak in franchise history. Opponents are hitting .175 over 29 innings during that span. The Rockies record is 33 straight scoreless appearances by Mike Myers in 2000.
• Right fielder Michael Cuddyer homered twice at Fenway Park on Wednesday, extending his hitting streak to a franchise-record-tying 23 games. Cuddyer is hitting .375 (36-for-96) with five homers and 16 RBIs during the streak, which is the longest in the majors this season. Cuddyer shares the franchise record with Dante Bichette, who had a 23-game hitting streak in 1995.
• Outfielder Dexter Fowler missed Wednesday’s game with right wrist soreness. Tyler Colvin instead started in center field.
• Troy Tulowitzki (fractured rib) has started playing catch, but is not expected to return until after the All-Star break. Since Tulowitzki’s last start on June 13, Josh Rutledge and Jonathan Herrera have shared shortstop duties.
• Carlos Gonzalez was named NL Player of the Week for the period ending June 16. He has a National League-leading 21 homers, one ahead of Philadelphia’s Domonic Brown. Gonzalez left Sunday’s game with leg cramps, but returned to the lineup Tuesday.
• Roy Oswalt, who signed with the Rockies on May 3, has allowed nine runs in 11 innings over two starts in the majors with Colorado.
• Since allowing five runs (four earned) in his season debut on April 24 against Atlanta, Tyler Chatwood has not allowed more than two runs in any of his past seven starts. Chatwood did miss a start earlier this month with pain in the triceps. Chatwood, 23, was obtained from the Los Angeles Angels on Nov. 30, 2011 for Chris Iannetta.
• Ex-Met Hisanori Takahashi was obtained from the Chicago Cubs last weekend for a player to be named, but the Rockies have assigned the 38-year-old left-hander to Triple-A Colorado Springs. He allowed four runs in one inning in his Sky Sox debut.
• Catcher Wilin Rosario has six multi-hit performances in his past 10 games.