'Pretty heavy' on Young, Mookie to 1B
December, 1, 2010
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
"We're looking into it pretty heavy," Collins said on WFAN on Wednesday morning.
The manager added that the Mets already are reviewing Young's medical information, a prerequisite to a signing becoming official.
• Collins said the Mets will interview three to four hitting coaches at the winter meetings next week.
• There is a "good shot" of Mookie Wilson being first base coach. Wilson returned to the organization this past season as minor league outfield and baserunning coordinator after four years away from baseball. He actually served as Mets first base coach from 1997-2002.
• The manager estimated a June return for Johan Santana. Santana underwent Sept. 14 surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his left shoulder. Sandy Alderson already had been on the record noting Santana would not be ready for the start of the season.
• He reiterated that Josh Thole has earned the chance to be the everyday catcher.
• While it's hard to envision the Mets outbidding other teams at this point given the payroll constraints, Collins said the Mets "still have a chance to sign" Pedro Feliciano, who declined the Mets' arbitration offer Tuesday.