How does FSU stack up vs. the Big 12?
Oh, we all hear them. And when they happen, it's time to compare the prospective team to its possible future home.
We always do these for the Big 12, and I definitely always learn a thing or two. I hope you do, too.
Here's our history:
- Nebraska vs. the Big Ten
- Texas A&M vs. the SEC
- TCU vs. the Big 12
- Missouri vs. the Big Ten
- Missouri vs. the SEC
- West Virginia vs. the Big 12
- Florida State is 1-2 all-time vs. the Bears, but the last meeting was in 1974.
- Florida State is 1-1 all-time vs. the Cyclones.
- The Seminoles narrowly edged Seneca Wallace and ISU in the season opener in Kansas City, 38-31. FSU led 31-14 at half, but Wallace led ISU back to within 38-31 early in the fourth quarter.
- Florida State is 5-2 all-time vs. Kansas, but haven't met the Jayhawks since 1993.
- In that 1993 game, FSU tromped the Jayhawks, 47-0, on the way to its first national title.
- Florida State is 3-0 all-time against the Wildcats, but haven't met them since 1977. In Manhattan, that equates to the year 12 B.S. (Before Snyder).
- Florida State is an eye-popping 1-6 all-time vs. Oklahoma.
- The Sooners beat FSU 13-2 in the 2000 Orange Bowl to win the national title.
- Last year, Oklahoma marched into Tallahassee and won, 23-13, with ESPN's College Gameday in attendance.
- Florida State is 3-1 all-time vs. OSU, but haven't met the Cowboys since 1985.
- Florida State won that game, the 1985 Gator Bowl, 34-23.
- Texas and Florida State have never played. I blame Dan Beebe.
- Florida State is 1-2 all-time vs. TCU, but the two teams haven't met since waaaaay back in 1965. I was only eight years old that day, but I remember bits and pieces of the game. FSU won the season opener in Fort Worth, 7-3.
- Florida State is 4-1 all-time vs. Texas Tech.
- The two teams haven't met since 1987. FSU won that game, a season opener in Tallahassee, 40-16.
- Florida State is an impressive 3-0 vs. West Virginia.
- The two teams last met in 2009, and FSU beat the Mountaineers 33-21 in the Gator Bowl.
- The Seminoles and WVU were scheduled to meet in 2012, but WVU canceled the game to make room for a new nine-game conference schedule in the Big 12, instead of the seven-game conference schedule used in the Big East.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Bob Stoops' recent comments about the SEC and the pending college football playoff, what appears to be an unpredictable Big 12 in 2013, how the Aggies will handle expectations and more.
Play Podcast Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin talks about the improvements being made to Kyle Field, what those improvements will to for the program, the success of last year, Johnny Manziel's offseason and the expectations for the Aggies in 2013.
Play Podcast Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo talk about Texas A&M's decision to expand its stadium and say although the Aggies had a fantastic year, the school must also be careful not to overextend its resources based on a single hot stretch.
Play Podcast Baylor head coach Art Briles joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what kind of player the Cowboys are getting in Terrance Williams.
Play Podcast Arlington and Texas A&M product Luke Joeckel, the potential No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Richard Durrett to discuss the draft, coaches and advice from his dad.
Play Podcast Florida Gulf Coast athletic director Ken Kavanagh joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his school's Cinderella story and playing in the Sweet 16 at Cowboys Stadium.
Play Podcast Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby joins Fizsimmons & Durrett to discuss Cowboys Stadium as a venue, the state of Big 12 basketball, the new 2014 college football format, why there's no hurry to have a Big 12 football championship and much more.
Play Podcast Jay Bilas joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the remaining 16 teams in the NCAA tournament, the intrigue surrounding the Northwest Region and the excitement over FGCU, even though a similar story happens every year.