MMQB: SMU finds 2nd half rhythm vs. WSU
* WR Aldrick Robinson had his biggest game of 2010 and maybe it's a sign of things to come. QB Kyle Padron found Robinson several times and the wideout had 3 TDs. Like any smart wide receiver, Robinson was quick to praise his quarterback, saying he got "perfect" throws.
"They have worked hard thoughtout the summer," coach June Jones said. "He had a couple of really nice corner routes. We missed one early in the game, he overthrew it, which I was surprised about. That happens sometimes. Al is a big play player. I’m glad to see him get a little success. He’s a good football player."
* Padron said the team made a concerted effort to work more in practice with him in the pocket. And he needed to trust his offensive line to hang in the pocket longer and try to make plays. That's what he did on Saturday.
* There was a controversial call on a muffed punt in the first half. Darius Johnson dropped it and Washington State got a touchdown out of it. It was close in terms of whether the Cougar player was blocked into Johnson or if he conviently stumbled into Johnson.
"I can’t comment on it," Jones said. "I have an interpretation, but I don’t want to say it because my pocketbook is not big enough for that."
* The Mustangs want Padron to protect himself as best he can. But he ran out of bounds instead of sliding during a critical early second-half drive and it helped SMU. Padron was hit late, getting 15 extra yards on the penalty.
"When you get a competitive kid like Kyle, that happens," Jones said. "I think he thought he'd get out of bounds before he got him. We haven’t protected him and some of those are his. Some of those he should have thrown the ball. I am concerned, to be quite honest."
* The SMU defense did a nice job of getting a pass rush going in the second half. That disrupted the Cougars' game plan and forced some bad or rushed throws. As we blogged on Saturday, Jones was quite complimentary of his defensive front.
* SMU and TCU have a shorter week to prepare with the game on Friday night in Dallas. We'll have much more on that game as the week progresses.
* If SMU plays the way they did in the second half on Saturday, they can hang in with TCU. You be sure that will be the focus this week.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Part 2 of the articles on OSU's involvment in academic fraud was released. Some claim the expose is unfounded. Ian and Richard warn that there are two sides to all stories.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mack Brown, Manny Diaz and all the latest with the Texas Longhorns.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett give you the latest on the Johnny Manziel story and Charles Barkley weighs in. You won't believe who the outspoken NBA Hall of Famer is disappointed in and what he thinks about the autograph allegations.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett for his weekly visit to preview the 2013 college football season.
Play Podcast Former TCU and current Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the expectations for the Bengals this season, give a prediction for the TCU-LSU game and talk about what it's like having the Hard Knocks cameras follow him.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley, and Mark Friedman react to Dez Bryant's comments regarding the NCAA's ongoing investigation of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
Play Podcast Richard Durrett, Ian Fitzsimmons and Glenn "Stretch" Smith react to Dez Bryant sounding off yesterday after practice about Johnny Manziel and the shadiness of the NCAA.
Play Podcast Former NCAA investigator and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel drama and give some insight as to what goes on during an NCAA investigation.