Final coaches poll looks like AP poll
4. Boise State
5. Ohio State
* Three Big 10 teams made the top 10 in both polls. The reason? Good bowl play. Ohio State's Rose Bowl win helped a two-loss Buckeyes team get ahead of 12-1 TCU. Penn State beat LSU to jump into the top 10. And Iowa's victory over Georgia Tech put the Hawkeyes at No. 7.
* Did Texas finish second because of how well they came back without Colt McCoy? Possibly. Florida had a chance to finsih second in a blowout, but I think the Longhorns deserved it.
* Nebraska, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State made the coaches poll top 25. OSU did not make the AP top 25.
* Boise State finished fourth, which didn't surprise me. Florida's impressive win over Cincinnati was the reason. But I can tell you from seeing the Broncos' live at the Fiesta Bowl that they are a great team. Again, if only we had a playoff.
* TCU has finished seventh or better two consecutive seasons. Gary Patterson has talked about establishing a reputation as a good program. Those kinds of high finishes are how you do it.
* Alabama has a ton of players coming back. There's little doubt they will be preseason No. 1 in 2010.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Baylor coach Art Briles discusses the incredible progress the program has made over the past two seasons, the challenges of having three different starting quarterbacks in three years, the parity in the Big 12 and more.
Play Podcast Kirk Herbstreit joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Bob Stoops' recent comments about the SEC and the pending college football playoff, what appears to be an unpredictable Big 12 in 2013, how the Aggies will handle expectations and more.
Play Podcast Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin talks about the improvements being made to Kyle Field, what those improvements will to for the program, the success of last year, Johnny Manziel's offseason and the expectations for the Aggies in 2013.
Play Podcast Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo talk about Texas A&M's decision to expand its stadium and say although the Aggies had a fantastic year, the school must also be careful not to overextend its resources based on a single hot stretch.
Play Podcast Baylor head coach Art Briles joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss what kind of player the Cowboys are getting in Terrance Williams.
Play Podcast Arlington and Texas A&M product Luke Joeckel, the potential No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Richard Durrett to discuss the draft, coaches and advice from his dad.
Play Podcast Florida Gulf Coast athletic director Ken Kavanagh joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his school's Cinderella story and playing in the Sweet 16 at Cowboys Stadium.
Play Podcast Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby joins Fizsimmons & Durrett to discuss Cowboys Stadium as a venue, the state of Big 12 basketball, the new 2014 college football format, why there's no hurry to have a Big 12 football championship and much more.