Buchholz: 'It's only two starts'

April, 9, 2011
4/09/11
10:17
PM ET
BOSTON -- Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz posted his second consecutive subpar performance to start the 2011 season.

The right-hander lasted only 3 2/3 innings and allowed five runs (four earned) on eight hits with three walks and two strikeouts and suffered his second loss of the season as the New York Yankees beat the Red Sox 9-4 on Saturday afternoon at Fenway Park.

“Every inning was a lot of work,” said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. “He tried to come in with fastball off the plate, and when [he] missed the next pitch out over the plate, they made some pretty solid contact. When you let them get their arms extended, they really do some damage.”

In his first start of the season, Buchholz suffered a 5-1 loss at Texas, allowing four runs on five hits (four solo home runs) over 6 1/3 innings.

Buchholz has allowed a total of five home runs this season.

“Everything’s there,” Buchholz said. “It’s just a matter of throwing pitches in situations when I can throw them. Last year, I threw a lot of off-speed pitches when I was behind in the count and had a lot of success with it. I just haven’t thrown them for strikes, yet. It’s only two starts in and it’s a game of adjustments.”

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?