Ortiz: 'I am going to play hard'

November, 22, 2010
11/22/10
7:46
PM ET
David Ortiz said Monday that he will give his all in 2011 even though the Red Sox did not give him the new multiyear contract he wanted.

"Boston made its decision, and I am going to play hard," Ortiz said during a news conference in Santo Domingo to promote his charity golf tournament, according to the Associated Press. "I wanted a new contract, but I know that this is a business. Sometimes good decisions are made and other times not."

The comments echo those made to ESPN Boston last week.

"I was trying to get something different," Ortiz told ESPN Boston's Jackie MacMullan. "I wanted to stay here longer. But I got what the team offered me, and I'm fine with it.

"My agent tried to talk with [the Red Sox] about something else, but that didn't work out. I thought what I've done here in Boston was well-deserving of two years, but I can't do nothing about it now except come back and play."

Earlier this month, the Red Sox exercised their $12.5 million option on Ortiz, who led Boston with 32 homers and tied for the team lead with 102 RBIs while hitting .270.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?