Bay still a long shot to come back

December, 24, 2009
12/24/09
12:52
AM ET

Jason Bay coming back to the Red Sox after all? Don't bet on it.

A team source said Wednesday night that while the club never says never, Bay's return to Boston would be a real long shot since the Red Sox already have a left fielder, namely Mike Cameron, who signed a two-year deal with the Sox earlier this month. (Of course, Cameron could end up in center with Jacoby Ellsbury shifting to left).

With Bay continuing to twist in the free-agent wind, talk of him possibly revisiting his relationship with the Red Sox has surfaced. Rob Bradford blogged on WEEI.com on Wednesday evening that the Sox "have had internal discussions about extending their organizational budget to potentially allow for another offer" to Bay. The proposal would be in the range of the four-year, $60 million offer originally made to Bay by the team, the blog entry said.

That organizational budget was stretched by the five-year, $82 million deal struck with free-agent pitcher John Lackey.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?