Theo not invited to Fenway celebration

April, 19, 2012
4/19/12
3:09
PM ET
The Boston Red Sox did not invite former general manager Theo Epstein -- architect of the team's championship teams in 2004 and 2007 -- to attend Friday's 100th anniversary celebration of Fenway Park, according to a report on CSNNE.com.

The Red Sox extended invitations to all former uniformed personnel to take part in the Fenway ceremonies, but did not include any executives.

"Apparently we decided to just invite uniformed personnel," Red Sox owner John Henry told CSNNE.com. He said he was unaware Epstein had not been asked to return until a reporter informed him.

Epstein, who left the Red Sox after last season's September collapse to take a job as president of the Chicago Cubs, told the Chicago Sun-Times last week that he wasn't planning on attending.

"No,'' Epstein said. "We have a game that day.''

Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, after first declining the invitation from the team ("I'm not quite ready for the hugs yet," he said), on Wednesday announced he had changed his mind and would attend Friday's ceremonies, which come 100 years to the day after the first regular season game at Fenway Park.

The Red Sox are keeping their plans for Friday's 100th anniversary celebration under wraps. What they've announced is that ceremonies will begin around 2 p.m. (an hour before the game against the New York Yankees) and will include the Boston Pops and a stadium-wide toast to Fenway Park.

Both the Red Sox and Yankees will wear 1912 throwback uniforms.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?