Henry plans on apologizing to Crawford
February, 25, 2012
By Joe McDonald | ESPNBoston.com
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox owner John Henry said Saturday morning he plans on apologizing to outfielder Carl Crawford later in the day for a comment he made during the offseason about initially being against his signing.
Henry made the remark during a radio interview on 98.5 The Sports Hub in late October, pressing the point that he tries to stay out of baseball decisions. He was asked whether the signing of Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million contract was more of a PR signing than a baseball move. Henry was adamant that it was a baseball move, one he initially was against.
“In fact, anyone involved in the process, anybody involved in upper management with the Red Sox would tell you that I personally opposed [the Crawford signing],” Henry said at the time. “Why? Because we had plenty of left-handed hitting. I don’t have to go into why. I’ll just tell you that at the time, I opposed the deal,” he said.
On Saturday morning, Henry said he regretted saying it.
“I should have never made those comments. It was an off-the-cuff remark that I shouldn’t have made, so when I see him I’m going to apologize to him for it,” Henry said.
When asked to give his explanation for the comment, the Red Sox owner dismissed the question.
“I don’t want to go through it again,” Henry said. “I explained it and people seem to not want to hear the explanation.”
When Crawford arrived at camp earlier this week, he said Henry’s remark had bothered him.
"I can't do nothing about what he said, just go out and play," Crawford said. "It was unfortunate that he said that. I wasn't happy about it, and a little surprised. It's unfortunate he feels that way. Wish those words hadn’t came out."
Saturday was not Henry’s first public reaction to Crawford’s statements. He sent the following text to the Boston Globe:
"Again, this wasn't about Carl. At the time I was opposed due to too many lefties in the lineup and particularly in the outfield. Also, our two best prospects were lefthanded hitters. My answer was an honest, off-the-cuff response on a radio station to a false assertion that ownership signed him for offseason PR purposes. This was a baseball decision I ultimately backed."