Lucchino on Ortiz: Glad he'll be back

December, 8, 2011
12/08/11
2:04
PM ET
BOSTON -- Baseball’s winter meetings concluded Thursday morning in Dallas with the Rule 5 draft, and while the Red Sox were relatively quiet in the Lone Star State, the club did retain the services of designated hitter David Ortiz.

The slugger accepted arbitration, which means he’ll remain in Boston for at least one more season.

"We are all pleased that David Ortiz is going to play for the Boston Red Sox in 2012,” said Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino. “It’ll be his 10th year with the team and he’s been a major factor in the success of this team, so we are happy that he will be here. It’s yet to be determined whether it’s under a one-year deal or a multi-year deal. Whatever way it turns out, our fans should rest easy that David Ortiz will slugging for the Red Sox in 2012.”

Prior to offering Ortiz arbitration, the Red Sox offered him a two-year deal worth $18 million, an industry source told ESPNBoston.com earlier this week. Ortiz made $12.5 million in 2011. The source also indicated Ortiz wants a two-year deal worth $25 million.

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?